Image Map

Monday, March 16, 2015

Mommy Monday: morning routines for a more productive day

How we start our day can make a huge difference in how productive we are. The best way to have a great start to the day is to establish a predictable morning routine, so we always know that we aren't forgetting something before we head out the door! Today I want to share the morning routine that I have found works great for me. I'm sure everyone has their own spin on what a great morning routine looks like, but I think there are some factors that can be helpful no matter who you are: allowing time to relax, eating, and mentally establishing a clear plan for the day.


The key elements of my morning routine are coffee/breakfast, quiet time, planner review, food prep, and emails. I often have time to do other things because I am a morning person and I would rather do stuff in the morning than at night any day, but those are optional. I always do things in the same order, too, so that I don't have to think about whether or not I'm remembering anything. I start my coffee, then shower/wash up, then sit down with my coffee and some breakfast while I enjoy some quiet reading time. That is my time to relax and wake up gradually- I don't rush and I try not to start thinking about all the things that need to get done that day.

Next I take out my planner and go over my plans for the day. I make sure I have everything ready for my lessons (if it's a day I'm teaching), and double-check any appointments or other commitments I might have. I also check my command center to make sure I didn't forget to write something in my planner and see what, if any, food I need to prepare for dinner (I use my crock pot a LOT). Going over everything helps me feel confident that I have a plan and I know what I'm doing, and keeps me from getting too stressed.

Once I've gone over my planner and command center and prepped any food that I need, I take out my computer. I intentionally avoid my computer until as late as possible because if I do it too early, I will get distracted by other work projects and neglect the other things I want to do so I feel good about my day! I do the bulk of my emails (and social media posts if I have time) in the morning. I know a lot of people do this in the evening, but I am so tired at night, I find I am much more efficient if I do it in the morning. And since I'm on a stricter deadline of needing to leave the house, I stay focused on the important emails and social media posts, instead of getting sucked into watching 20 buzzfeed videos or looking at cool DIY projects on pinterest.

By the time I finish those things I feel ready for the day and (usually) refreshed from a relaxing morning (and a good night's sleep, since I went to bed early instead of surfing the internet all night!). Do you have a morning routine? If so, what do you do? If not, do you wish you had one, or do you feel you are better off without one? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

If you want a glimpse of how my whole day goes, check out my "day in the life" post :)

4 comments :

  1. I'm jealous of your ability to get things done in the morning. I'm a night-owl and can barely handle full sentences before my first cup of coffee. I keep meaning to ask you, where did you get your planner bound? I usually use a three-ring binder, but am thinking of switching to spiral-bound, and I want something that will last and look nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my friend, if you don't know about this system yet you are in for a life-changing experience!!! I have all the links in my original post about my planner: http://caldwellorganizedchaos.blogspot.com/2014/07/planner-tour.html but basically I don't have them bound- I get all the flexibility of a 3-ring with the sleek form of a spiral bound with this arc notebook: http://www.staples.com/M-by-Staples-Arc-Customizable-Durable-Poly-Notebook-System-Clear-9-3-8-x-11-1-4-/product_162984 Because I make my own cover, I can get the cheap notebook, and they have pretty good sales on these a couple of times a year. I also found a cheap hole punch: http://www.levenger.com/Circa-Notebooks-326/Circa-Punches-328/Circa-1-2-3-Portable-Punch-8704.aspx so all-told I spent less than $25 for a system I can use again and again. LOVE it.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Bloggers Brags! I'm pining to the Bloggers Brags board on Pinterest. Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete