Image Map

Monday, June 22, 2015

Mommy Monday: toddler-proofing kitchen drawers without locking them

Child-proofing is an annoying but necessary element of every house with small children. We all want to make sure our kids can't access things that are dangerous, but by making it harder for them to access, we inevitably make it harder for ourselves as well! Nowhere is this more apparent than in the kitchen. Cabinets, drawers, refrigerators and more all have danger lurking inside. While I have child-proofing on most of the kitchen cabinets, I didn't find anything for drawers that wasn't a) super expensive and/or b) made it so unwieldy for me to open that I got frustrated. So I resigned myself to putting only kid-friendly items, like napkins and straws, in most of the drawers (I don't have that many in my kitchen anyway). But I just couldn't find any other good way to store some of my smaller, awkwardly-shaped kitchen utensils, and some of them were too sharp for me to leave out within the girls' reach. So here's my solution: drawer organizers!


It didn't occur to me, until I bought some drawer organizers for my utensils at the dollar store and put them in my drawer, that the bins naturally blocked the back of the drawer. Normally you could put in another row of bins and fill up the drawer, but I realized that I could keep stuff behind them to both keep them out of my girls' reach and keep them easy to access. Here is what it looks like when I pull the drawer organizers forward:


You can see that I have enough space to reach back and pull things out without having to take the bins out of the drawer. It's nothing earth-shattering but I love the system! I am able to keep all of these things behind the bins without over-crowding the drawer:


Do you keep things behind drawer organizers to keep them out of your children's reach? Like all child-proofing, if they really wanted to and worked at it long enough, the girls could probably get something out, but I'm comforted knowing that it would take them a LONG time to do it!

Twinkly Tuesday

No comments :

Post a Comment